Being a Foreigner in China

Amidst Chinese Class Break

"So a guy came up to me in a bar, hitting on me and I wasn't interested and he was Chinese. I thought the easiest thing to say was I have a boyfriend. So I said 'Wo yao nan peng you (我要男朋友)' with such conviction and I was like, this is right. Then he looked at me and suddenly got more keen and I was like what's gone wrong? I realized I was saying 'Wo yao' which means 'I want' (我有) as opposed to 'wo you' which means 'I have' a boyfriend. So he was really keen cause he thought I was saying I want a boyfriend"


As a Caucasian individual in China, she often encountered groups of Chinese people asking to take pictures with her because she looked so foreign. I later heard similar stories from my other international friends who also experienced it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just The Beginning

All Over The World