From Cali to Shanghai


Overseeing Xi Hu in Hangzhou
Hangzhou Mountain
"Like many other language students, I had the intentions of learning Mandarin in China for work-related purposes. Growing up in a fairly traditional Chinese household and predominantly Chinese community in San Francisco, I did not anticipate on being too culture shocked when first arriving in China. But was I still bothered by the rush of people pushing and shoving to get on and off the subway? Grossed out by the smell of stinky tofu being sold along the streets? Cringe at the sight of people spitting on the streets? Absolutely. Despite this, after four-five months of immersing myself into the Chinese culture and meeting local Chinese university students, I was able to better understand the Chinese history and lifestyle. Now, wherever I encounter an individual of Chinese descent, I have a different perspective of him or her than I did before."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Foreigner in China

So Much to Offer

All Over The World