Where Magic Happens

A couple from New Zealand who decided to study Chinese together in China.

Her:
"I get asked one of two things when I meet locals here. The first is why would you ever choose to move from New Zealand to China?  And it's true, I left my best friends and beautiful backyard in exchange for a place where individual fruit comes bubble wrapped and cheese is like gold (two examples that very much grind my gears).
The second is more of a puzzled look, followed by, but for a foreigner, your face looks very Chinese...? An open-ended question/statement I never quite know how to best respond, which makes me confused because for such a global city, in some ways they are still very much stuck in a bubble of the past. 
I could have happily lived my comfortable life in NZ for probably forever. But the truth is Shanghai is like an emotional, cultural, financial, dream of a rollercoaster, one where dreams can evolve and collapse within a second, and for now, that really excites me. "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just The Beginning

Being a Foreigner in China

Being Asian